In the mood for a special holiday treat? One that’s not only delicious but also healthy? These Coconut Chocolate Truffles are dairy free, gluten free and made with healthy coconut sugar instead of cane sugar.
We adapted the recipe from Sweetest Menu, to use healthy ingredients. We replaced powdered sugar with coconut sugar which is low glycemic (it won’t raise your blood sugar levels), helps maintain a healthy weight and can prevent type 2 diabetes. It’s also packed with minerals like zinc, calcium, potassium and iron. And it’s a good source of inulin, which is a prebiotic that supports gut health, helps your body metabolize fat and improves immunity.
We also use coconut milk instead of dairy since it’s full of healthy fats and lauric acid (which has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties).
Smooth dark chocolate with a delicious coconut center make these the perfect dessert to bring to any holiday party. No one will believe how healthy they are!
Chocolate Coconut Truffles
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut sugar mixed
- ½ Tbs arrow root powder
- 1 cup coconut milk creamer
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⅔ cups dark chocolate
- Line cookie tray with baking or parchment paper.
- Combine coconut sugar and arrow root powder and grind (in coffee grinder or food processor)
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2 1/2 cups of shredded coconut, coconut sugar mixture, coconut milk creamer and vanilla and fold.
- Once combined, roll into 1 inch balls and place on cookie tray.
- Freeze for at least 20 min
- Melt chocolate in double broiler OR Warm 2 inches of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place chocolate in a glass bowl and set over sauce pan. Gently stir as the chocolate melts. I also coat the bottom of the pan with coconut oil to prevent the chocolate from sticking.
- Once the chocolate has completely melted, remove from heat (if the chocolate melts before the coconut mixture has set keep chocolate warm in glass bowl inside covered double broiler on LOW heat).
- Dip truffles in chocolate and place back on tray. Sprinkle with remainder of shredded coconut before the chocolate sets.
- Place truffles back into the freezer for at least another 20 minutes.
|For this recipe we recommend:|
|Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial|